Seminar on Competition & Performance Flying
Laragne-Montéglin – France
9 – 15 July
A variety of truncated ridges and isolated mountain massifs surround the broad valley opening of Laragne-Montéglin and make it a near perfect playground for competition hang gliding.
A handful of takeoff opportunities in the vicinity of a good hour’s drive allow adjusting for various wind and weather conditions – a guarantee for an entertaining week of practice flying in the Haute-Provence.
The course aims at covering all relevant aspects of medium to high profile competition flying:
• We’ll start out with a general introduction on competing and reflect on the importance of preparation and attitude.
• We then discuss in detail the need to develop good technical flying skills and finally turn our focus on competition strategy and tactical behavior during task flying.
What makes for a good air start? How to efficiently round head wind and tail wind turnpoints, and how to best out-smart your gaggle on final? We shall elaborate on all these standard scenarios and some more – first from a theoretical and later from the practical side.
So, if you’ve always wondered what it could be like to smile from a podium – this Masterclass could be
your first step towards it !
Course difficulty rating:
Number of course participants: 6-8 Pilots
• 7 days guided flying tour with Gerolf and Sasha
• Waypoint & landing field coordinates of the area are provided for your flight instruments
• Daily weather briefing, flight planning and discussion of the topography of the course line
• 3D-Flight analysis with state of the art flight equipment and PC software
• Theory and video presentations and discussions of a wide variety of Hang gliding topics
• Assistance with camera equipment and glider mounts
• We also will suggest suitable accommodation for you, if requested.
Experience and gear required:
• Solid launch and landing technique, regular use of a drogue chute is encouraged
• Solid thermaling skills, and a certain understanding of flying as group
• Several Flights 3-5 hours long and over 50-100 km in the past
• Advanced kingposted or topless gliders, harness with parachute, helmet, flying instruments (vario/altimeter and GPS)
• A mobile phone suitable for European pre-paid Sim-Cards
• A VHF-radio (144-148 or 430-450 MHz) with proper headset would be desirable !
The cost for the 7 days fully guided course is 400 Euro. Transport, retrieve and accommodation is not included. However, we are always trying to arrange and negotiate individual retrieve solutions between participants. Contact us for details.