Julian Alps – Tolmin, Slovenia
Highlight of the Course. Großvenediger and Großglockner Bonus Flight
Our final accord was played in Austrian Alps. That flight could be named as one of the best of the whole European summer flying season.
Check out our stories of the other days in the Course Diary below.
The Julian Alps offer some of the most spectacular landscapes in Europe, with rugged rock faces and idyllic river valleys. Located at the south east end of the Alpine crest the "Slovenian Dolomites" provide a cool variety of flying genres.
The majestic north faces of the Trigav Nationalpark mix well with a nice mediteranean flair of flying, once you are heading south to the Vipava Valley of Gorica and Ajdovscina. And in between lays the beautiful Soca Valley of Tolmin, and its two main takeoff locations, Kobala (SE, SW-W) and Stol (S-SW).
Even when not riding their "magic carpets" pilots will not feel like wasting their time here. Sports alternatives like rafting and kayaking, hiking or biking can help you make your day adventureous enough if wind & weather are not cooperating for once. This AdventureFlying course is best suitable for medium to well experienced XC pilots. More unexperienced XC pilots would always have to restrict their flight plans to rather local flights around the closer Tolmin area.Read more
Number of course participants: 6-8 Pilots
• 7 days guided flying tour with Gerolf and Sasha
• Waypoint & landing field coordinates of the area are provided for your flight instruments
• Daily weather briefing, flight planning and discussion of the topography of the course line
• 3D-Flight analysis with state of the art flight equipment and PC software
• Theory and video presentations and discussions of a wide variety of Hang gliding topics
• Assistance with camera equipment and glider mounts
• We also will suggest suitable accomodation for you, if requested.
Experience and gear required:
• Solid launch and landing technique, regular use of a drouge chute is encouraged
• Solid thermaling skills, and a certain understanding of flying as group
• Several Flights over 2-3 hours long and over 50-80 km in the past
• Advanced kingposted or topless gliders, harness with parachute, helmet, flying instruments (vario/altimeter and GPS)
• A mobile phone suitable for European pre-paid Sim-Cards
• A VHF-radio (144-148 or 430-450 MHz) with proper headset would be desirable !
The cost for the 7 days fully guided course is 450 Euro. Transport, retrieve and accomodation is not included. However, we are always trying to arrange and negociate individual retrieve solutions between participants. Contact us for details.