Carinthian Alps – Greifenburg, Austria
21 – 27 July
The Greifenburg Course is our classic Adventure Flying event. This is where it all started, and if you join this course you will quickly understand why.
The upper Drau valley provides more sunny days per season than any other place in the Central Alps. Well shielded-off by the main Alpine Ridge to the north, Greifenburg often provides decent flying when everywhere else they struggle with weather conditions.
Starting out with some warm-up flying along the easy Drau valley, stepping up the game with
some scenic flights around Weissensee, we will eventually tap into the snow-covered regions of higher Alpine territory. By the end of the week you should have a good idea how to “cloud-venture” in Alpine terrain.
This AdventureFlying course is suitable for all levels of XC pilots, from the less to the well experienced.
Don’t forget your Gopro cameras !
Course difficulty rating:
Number of course participants: 6-8 Pilots
• 7 days guided flying tour with Gerolf and a supporter
• Waypoint & landing field coordinates of the area are provided for your flight instruments
• Daily weather briefing, flight planning and discussion of the topography of the course line
• 3D-Flight analysis with state of the art flight equipment and PC software
• Theory and video presentations and discussions of a wide variety of Hang gliding topics
• Assistance with camera equipment and glider mounts
• We also will suggest suitable accomodation for you, if requested.
Experience and gear required:
• Solid launch and landing technique, regular use of a drouge chute is encouraged
• Decent thermaling skills, and a certain understanding of flying as group
• Several Flights over 2-3 hours long and over 50 km in the past
• Advanced kingposted or topless gliders, harness with parachute, helmet, flying instruments (vario/altimeter and GPS)
• A mobile phone suitable for European pre-paid Sim-Cards
• A VHF-radio (144-148 or 430-450 MHz) with proper headset would be desirable !