Dolomites – Canazei, Italy
10 – 16 September
The Pale Mountains, as French mineralogist Déodat Gratet de Dolomieu first described them, are arguably one of the most scenic mountain formations in the World. So it was mostly a matter of pride that AdventureFlying would also call for a course in the Dolomites.
Campitello and Canazei lay right in the heart of those glorious Dolomites, which makes Col Rondella the ideal takeoff location (N, S, W) when aiming to visit the cradle of European alpinism. There are a few more takeoff possibilites in a vicinity of 20km, each allowing for different wind and weather conditions.
Marmolada, Gruppo di Sella, Sasso Pordoi and Sasso Lungo are meanwhile also famous names in the free flying world – and they are only a glide and a half away from our takeoff.
Sometimes it almost seems to good to be true that you can visit all these places at once, and capture a glimpse of their beauty, before those Gopro batteries would slowly give up on you.
But there is more, much more out there to see, and these places command even more respect to alpinists and pilots. The Lake of Antemoia, the Rose Garden, Latemar, Schlern, Red Wall, and the coolest of them all – the three pinnacles of the Vaiolet towers.
They require a little more dedication from the pilots side. On friendly days you might be granted an audience for a few minutes, before they cover themselves in mist again.
Early September is traditionally the right time to explore the Dolomites via hang glider. Conditions are more steady then, with light winds and cloudlbase often well above summit heights.
This AdventureFlying course is best suitable for medium to well experienced XC pilots.
All said, there is only one thing left to mention: Don’t forget to bring your camera equipment !
Course difficulty rating:
Number of course participants: 6-8 Pilots
• 7 days guided flying tour with Gerolf and Sasha
• Waypoint & landing field coordinates of the area are provided for your flight instruments
• Daily weather briefing, flight planning and discussion of the topography of the course line
• 3D-Flight analysis with state of the art flight equipment and PC software
• Theory and video presentations and discussions of a wide variety of Hang gliding topics
• Assistance with camera equipment and glider mounts
• We also will suggest suitable accommodation for you, if requested.
Experience and gear required:
• Solid launch and landing technique, regular use of a drogue chute is encouraged
• Solid thermaling skills, and a certain understanding of flying as group
• A few years of XC flying experience with flights over 50-80 km in the past
• Advanced kingposted or topless gliders, harness with parachute, helmet, flying instruments (vario/altimeter and GPS)
• A mobile phone suitable for European pre-paid Sim-Cards
• A VHF-radio (144-148 or 430-450 MHz) with proper headset would be desirable !
The cost for the 7 days fully guided course is 450 Euro. Transport, retrieve and accommodation is not included. However, we are always trying to arrange and negotiate individual retrieve solutions between participants. Contact us for details.